Marvel Entertainment, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
Greetings, True Believers! You’ve taken your first step into the exciting world of Marvel Entertainment, LLC! With offices located in New York, New York and Manhattan Beach, California, Marvel affects virtually all areas of entertainment for kids, teens and young adults, from best-selling comics and award-winning online content, to blockbuster Hollywood movies and television shows, both live and animated.
Marvel offers several different kinds of internships, some you wouldn’t expect. Like most businesses we need different departments to keep the old ship going full steam ahead, and we encourage students to apply to more than one department if they feel they have the skills that fit the bill.
Note: We are accepting applications on a rolling basis but we will review applications for:
- SUMMER 2011, between February 28th – April 29th*
*Dates are subject to change
- Be aware that Marvel internships are non-paid.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Prove that they can receive school credit. How? They’ll need to get a letter of recommendation from their college advisor stating that they can.
- Be available 2-3 days a week. We know you want to be here and, trust us, we love having you!
- Be prepared to travel to our New York City office (or the Manhattan Beach office for Marvel Studios, LLC) if selected for an interview.
- For out of state applicants: Travel & housing is NOT provided.
- If you have any questions about East Coast internships you may contact the Internship Coordinator at email@example.com. NO CALLS PLEASE
East Coast Marvel Internships
Have you ever wondered what an actual page of comic book art looks like before it’s shrunken down, covered with word balloons and colored? Are you proficient in Excel and Word? Then this is the department for you! Help file, mail, and deal with extensive paperwork, all part of organizing and processing original artwork done by real Marvel comic book artists!
You’ll need the pinpoint aim of Marvel’s ace archer Hawkeye for this exciting internship! Learn the day-to-day process of scheduling Marvel comics for print, and assist with administrative duties that go hand-in-hand with meeting Marvel’s publishing deadlines. Filing and dealing with extensive paperwork are but a few of the mighty tasks you’ll be called upon to perform. You’ll also deal with every department Marvel has, from Accounting, to Editorial, to our fabulous Bullpen. Meet them all! Particularly good for Business majors. Interns who know Word and Excel will stand above the rest.
Do you know how many suits of armor Iron Man has worn throughout his crime fighting career? The difference between green Hulk, gray Hulk, and red Hulk? Or maybe you just have an interest in comics and the process that gets them from inside creators’ heads and into readers’ hands. If so, then this is the internship for you. Marvel offers not one, but two terrific types of editorial internships:
- Periodicals – Learn how comic book writers’ ideas are transcribed to the printed page! You’ll truly need the “”power”” to multitask and work independently. This internship calls out to English, Comparative Literature and Communications majors. Knowing how a comic book is made will be invaluable to you on this quest for knowledge. Not only will you help with the editorial process, transmittal, and receipt of artwork, plots, and scripts, but you’ll learn what goes into it, step-by-step.
- Special Projects – Witness as several astounding comics come together to form one incredible graphic novel! Be prepared to work in the Bound Book Room and Digital Archives (the comic book library to end all comic book libraries!), organizing comic books and CD archives on Marvel characters ranging from Apocalypse to Zaladane (Don’t get the reference? Then you need to brush up on your knowledge of the X-Men, bub!). You might even be asked to do research for the most marvelous editorial staff and other departments this side of the cosmos!
A comic book fan’s dream come true!
Production (A.K.A. The Bullpen):
So you say you like to multitask? The type who’s into working independently? And you want to obtain firsthand knowledge regarding the physical production of a comic book? Well, interning in this department really gives you a firsthand look at the nitty-gritty of how comic books get from just being separate art, color, and lettering files and well on their way to being physical copies you can actually hold in your hands! You’ll be asked to scan original art or create print-ready PDF files, so Mac computer skills are key here, folks! Keep in mind that you’ll also need to have a working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Familiarity with Marvel’s characters and comics in general is extremely beneficial!
Digital Media Group:
Surf the web on Marvel.com and a wide range of other online initiatives! Marvel.com Interns should have knowledge of video games, pop culture, movies, TV, etc. All web interns help manage and update content on Marvel.com and our other websites.
We offer five fantastic types of Online Internships:
- Web Analytics, Online Marketing and Business Development Interns must be available at least 3 days a week and are involved in sales and traffic analysis, assisting in research of new revenue opportunities and ongoing site improvement. See what users are visiting our sites and analyze their behavior, using it to make future projections. Also, help out with conducting usability testing and seo. Help us to make Marvel.com even better!Apply to be a Online Marketing and Business Development intern.
- Web editorial interns are usually called to duty on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by this most excellent department. Applicants should have an interest in comics and web internet work. The ability to multitask and work independently is a must. It is helpful, but not necessary, to be majoring in a related field such as: Journalism or Marketing.Apply to be a Web Editorial intern.
- Web design interns help design the look and feel for the online face of Marvel. Duties include feature and wallpaper design, ad design, scanning, interface design, image selection, flash animation, and graphic production. In a department that needs so many colors, this is your chance to add to the mix!Apply to be a Web Design intern.
- Web development interns help code the inner workings of the Marvel website. Duties include HTML production, PHP, MySQL application design and coding, QA, and user acceptance testing, as well as actionScript development for flash applications.Apply to be a Web Development intern.
- Project Management Interns pitch in on different types of projects that will carry Marvel Entertainment Inc. into the future and beyond. You’ll ably assist in writing scope docs, functionality specs, etc. You’ll also have the opportunity to research new project ideas as well as find potential vendors to buy the best comic book-related merchandise in the world! Who says this isn’t the mighty Marvel Age of Project Management?Apply to be a Project Management intern.
- Social Media Internsare required 2-3 days a week (one of which must be Friday) and are involved in social media reporting and analysis, assisting in maintaining the Marvel Audience Network, various online research projects, and participation in brainstorming sessions. An interest in Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and emerging social media networks/technologies is a must. You should be internet savvy, and have strong writing, research, and Excel skills. Attention to detail and ability to multi-task also important.Apply to be a Social Media intern.
Interns will obtain firsthand knowledge about the development of online comics (Good luck folding these puppies up and putting them in your back pocket!). It’s your chance to bring your Mac/PC skills to the table and show us what you’ve got, and while you’re at it, familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and knowledge of Marvel characters doesn’t hurt either! Multitaskers only.
Enthusiastic, energetic students are encouraged to apply for this internship and should have 2-3 years of experience working with Photoshop and Illustrator. Prepare to Scan, rework designs, retouch art, pass files, and develop your skills by creating interesting and exciting designs! This includes being able to make functional patterns, borders, and icons. To qualify for this position applicants must be able to provide portfolio samples that demonstrate their ability to work with these Creative Suite programs.
Spider-Man! X-Men! Iron Man! Hulk! If you see these names and think Marvel, then you have an idea of what a brand is. Brand Assurance Interns help manage, review, and process products that have been approved to carry the Marvel brand name. You’ll be working with large databases and products that carry the Marvel name – everything from cell phone holders to statues to key chains! You’ll get to organize as well as photograph consumer products. If you have a knack for developing websites, we can definitely put your skills to work helping to develop ours. Learn how our website displays all the information Marvel fans need to buy a product. Please be familiar with Research Analysis, Excel, HTML, and Flash. Some of the material you’ll be working with is potentially sensitive/confidential material and, just think– you get to see it waaaaay before everybody else! How cool is that?
You’ll think you’ve died and gone to comic book heaven as you lovingly pour over Marvel’s stockpile of comics, trades, and hard covers while cataloging them into a magnificent Excel spreadsheet. But, wait! There’s more! You’ll also assist with the delivery of incoming packages, prepare bundles containing new comics hot off the presses, and sort packages of comics to be mailed to our stable of freelancers. Candidates should be detail-oriented and able to work independently. Knowledge of our comics is helpful, but not required.
- The Business Development Department manages a broad spectrum of marketing, promotions, sales and brand development projects. Business Development interns will have a multitude of jobs including: creating promotional presentations, marketing research, meeting attendance & recap, convention planning, interdepartmental communications, coordinating publishing materials, creative brainstorming, digital assets management and production schedule administration for a team of designers. Students applying for this internship should be interested in future careers involving marketing, sales, design or communications.
- Design Interns will work with the Junior and Senior Art Directors of the Business Development department on various types of design projects from web banners, logo design, and advertising design to help develop and design assets for all of the conventions that Marvel attends. As part of Business Development we work with all departments within the Marvel organization, so a chance to be creative is vast. Students applying for this design internship should have knowledge of current versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, a willingness to learn and the ability take creative direction is a definite plus! Portfolio samples are also suggested to demonstrate their design ability.
Enter a dynamic, exciting and challenging marketing-oriented environment! Interns in this department will assist in selling & executing co-promotional deals for Marvel’s films and animated shows. They will be called upon to do competitive research, generate and manage status charts, provide follow-up notes for meetings, and generate pitches & proposals in PowerPoint… along with an array of other tasks. Gain experience and knowledge by working with Marvel’s Promotions team across a vast corporate landscape while helping to expand Marvel’s movie marketing efforts! Students applying for this internship should be interested in future careers involving advertising, marketing, sales, or communications.
Interns must have design knowledge including Adobe Creative Suite. Interns will work with the editor to produce creative time lines for custom projects, pull files and make PDF’s to send to clients, contact clients by phone and/or email, as well as oversee the production schedule. Learn and be a part of Marvel’s internal production process. Interns must have knowledge in Microsoft Excel, basic accounting, and Outlook. In this position, interns will work side by side the Publishing Manager in various fields: updating/overseeing the Production Schedule, following the entire internal production process, making sure information is accurate, and attend meetings with vendors and clients looking to establish a professional relationship with Marvel.
Are you interested in entering the Sales/Marketing field, as well as learning about media relations, promoting Marvel Comics to fans and the intricacies of the comic book industry? You’ll help develop skills in communicating the Marvel product, affecting sales through a variety of methods, marketing comics and more! If you want intense training in a unique industry and you love comics, well then this is the ideal internship for you.
Are you interested in learning more about Marvel but are not sure where to start? You will be happy to know that the Publishing department is now looking for motivated and ambitious interns! The entertainment industry is buzzing so this is a good place to start in a company if you want to get a foot in the door, but do not have specific experience in a particular field. Publishing interns will help provide administrative support to five executives in the Editorial, Digital, Operations and Marketing departments. They will learn how to conduct research, maintain contacts, prepare expense reports, handle information requests and various other clerical functions. The ability to be organized, multitask, and have good interpersonal skills is a plus. The candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Office. This is the opportunity to be a part of a great team and an exciting atmosphere!
Summer Associate Program: Marvel’s summer associate program runs for 8 weeks with a minimum hourly requirement of 40 hours per week. Summer associates may receive law school credit or an hourly wage.
Spring and Fall Legal Internship Program: Marvel’s Spring and Fall legal internship program runs for 16 weeks with a minimum hourly requirement of 12 hours per week. Spring and/or Fall legal interns may receive law school credit or an hourly wage.
How to Apply: To apply for the Summer Associate or Spring/Fall Legal Internship Programs please send a cover letter, resume and a copy of your law school transcript to:
- Emma Liu
- Marvel Entertainment, LLC
- Human Resources
- 135 50th Street, 7th Floor
- New York, NY 10020
Summer Associate and Legal Intern Applications are accepted on a year-round basis.
Interns are responsible for data entry, general filing, and creating Excel spreadsheets for special projects, basic accounting, and verifying proper backup for travel and entertainment expenses. What? You thought you’d be counting all the money we made off the Iron Man movie?
Interns should have an interest in one or more of the following areas: licensing, sales, marketing, product development, and entertainment marketing. Not only will they support the department with daily activities such as organizing licensee information, and preliminary research on potential partnerships, they’ll also assist with PowerPoint presentations, and preparing Excel spreadsheets. Familiarity with Excel and PowerPoint required.
Computer Science students interested in experiencing application development and deployment in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment should submit their resume and application. The IT Applications department is responsible for defining and deploying technology solutions including: Oracle Applications, Enterprise Content Management, Workflow Solutions, and Portals & Collaboration. Duties will include: Data Migration & Maintenance, Application Testing & Documentation, and Business Process & Requirements Documentation.
IT Desktop Intern:
Interns will help support desktop (PC and MAC) software installs and troubleshooting problems within the Marvel office. A qualified candidate must have some MAC and PC hardware knowledge and experience with Microsoft OS and Office tools. IT Desktop Interns will also be responsible for entering and updating IT helpdesk tickets.
Attention! Number one comic book publisher in North America seeking business-related or liberal arts majors. Be prepared to work with all types of individuals, file extensive amounts of paperwork, and bring requisite computer skills. Our HR internship will work closely in building the internship program and will learn how to recruit new potential applicants. The HR candidate should be detail oriented and organized.
Ever wonder what a comic book looks like before it’s fully assembled and stapled? Well, here’s your chance to find out, o seeker of the truth! Students with a keen eye for detail will stand out in this position. This special breed of intern will be taught the printing process from the ground up, mastering the art of color proofing against printed sheets. You can forget about that gym membership because this job will keep you busy, trafficking materials such as proofs, covers & interiors, printed signatures, etc. throughout the day. Knowledge of Word, Excel and Acrobat Reader is a must!